Attending face-to-face appointments at the Gender Identity Development Service during COVID-19
We have put in place special processes so that we can carry out face to face appointments in GIDS as safely as possible during COVID-19. Please see the important information about these below.
We are aware that this may feel different but please be reassured that we are all working to make the environment as safe and comfortable as possible.
What to expect when attending a face to face appointment
Before the appointment
- You will be telephoned by our admin team at 7 days and 1 day before the appointment.
They will ask you to confirm that no-one in the household is displaying any of the COVID-19 symptoms. Please note that this call may come from a withheld number.
On the day
- Please do not arrive more than 10 minutes before your appointment.
- You will be required to wear a mask when you come into the clinic. Please bring your own mask if possible. Your clinician will also be wearing a mask.
- Please use the hand sanitisers/handwash facilities available and follow any one way system indicated.
- London: When you arrive you will be asked the same COVID-19 questions by the Main Receptionist to check whether you have symptoms of the COVID-19 virus. If you confirm that no-one has symptoms, you will then be directed to the GIDS Reception. You may be asked to wait in the Waiting Area or directed to the therapy room where you will be seen.
- Leeds/Bristol/Birmingham: When you arrive you will be asked the same COVID-19 questions by the Receptionist to check whether you have symptoms of the COVID-19 virus. If you confirm that no-one has symptoms, you may be asked to wait in the Waiting Area or directed to the therapy room where you will be seen.
- Therapy rooms will have open windows to assist air flow so please bring warm clothing if necessary. The door handles and arms of chairs will be wiped down between appointments. Therapy rooms are set out to ensure a 2 metre distance between you/your family and GIDS clinicians so that safe social distancing can be maintained. Please do not rearrange the layout.
- If you are worried about wearing a mask before or during your appointment please do let your clinician know.